Are you looking for a well-researched and detailed article on ‘Top 5 Computer Programming Languages’? Then you are in the right place.
In this post, we are going to clear your all Computer Programming-related doubts and also discuss this topic – ‘Top 5 Computer Programming Languages’. So, stay tuned with us, and Let’s go.
Computer Programming is a step by step process of designing and developing various sets of computer programs to accomplish a specific computing outcome. Programs are a set of codes that take some input and produce an output. Programming involves tasks such as: Analysis, Generating Algorithms, Profiling Algorithms’ Accuracy and Resource Consumption. A computer program is also called computer software, which can range from two lines to millions of lines of instructions.
A programming language is a formal language comprising a set of strings that produce various kinds of machine code output. Programming languages are one kind of computer language, and are used in computer programming to implement Algorithms. In today’s world, most of the technical work requires good programming skills. A good tech career requires the knowledge of programming languages.
- The first commercially available language was FORTRAN (Formula Translation), developed in 1956 (first manual appeared in 1956, but first developed in 1954) by a team led by John Backus at IBM.
- English mathematician Ada Lovelace, the daughter of poet Lord Byron, was known as ‘The First Computer Programmer’ for writing an algorithm for a computing machine in the mid-1800s. The world’s first computer algorithm, written by Ada Lovelace, sells for $1,25,000 at auction.
In this DIGITAL ERA, whether you want to develop a mobile application, get certification for programming knowledge, or learn new tech skills, you need to learn the right programming language. This is the most demanding skill in today’s market. Programming languages are also used in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Data Science Field, Robotics, Software Development, Website Management, Blockchain Technology, Operating System Management and so on.
Writing a computer program is very easy if it is managed properly. There are many computer programming languages available like C, C++, C#, GO, JAVA, RUBY, PYTHON, R, SWIFT, SCALA, KOTLIN etc. There are about 700 programming languages, including the esoteric coding languages. So finalizing the right programming language is not an easy task. That’s why, today we are going to discuss about the ‘Top 5 Computer Programming Languages’ that you must learn to be a good computer programmer.
Swift is a general-purpose, multi-paradigm, compiled programming language developed by Apple Inc. and the open-source community. Apple developed Swift in 2014 for Linux and Mac applications. Swift was developed as a replacement for Apple’s earlier programming language Objective-C, as Objective-C had been largely unchanged since the early 1980s and lacked modern language features. It was developed for Mac computers and specifically for Apple devices including the iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch etc. A few years ago, Swift made the top 10 in the monthly TIOBE Index ranking of popular programming languages. Swift requires fewer coding skills compared with other programming languages, and it can be used with IBM Bluemix and IBM Swift Sandbox. Apple recently made Swift as an open source project. Instantly it became one of the most popular languages in Github.
- It is an open-source programming language that is easy to learn and also supports almost everything from the programming language Objective-C.
- Like many modern programming languages, Swift has a highly readable syntax, runs code quickly, and can be used for both client-side and server-side development.
- Closures unified with function pointers, Tuples and multiple return values.
- Easy to add new features, English-like syntax makes it highly readable and interoperable with Objective-C.
- As a newer programming language, the code can be unstable at times, and there are fewer third-party resources available to programmers.
- On Apple platforms, it uses the Objective-C runtime library which allows C, Objective-C, C++ and Swift code to run within one program.
Nowadays, so many large corporations are also shifting to Swift. Many startups are opting for Swift over Objective C because of its ease of learning, performance metrics and less error prone nature. About 2183 companies reportedly use Swift in their tech stacks, including Uber, Slack, and Robinhood and so on.
Kotlin is a general-purpose programming language originally developed and unveiled as Project Kotlin by JetBrains in 2011. The first version was officially released in 2016. Kotlin is a cross-platform, statically typed, general-purpose programming language with type inference. Kotlin is a modern statically typed programming language used by over 60% of professional Android developers that helps boost productivity, developer satisfaction, and code safety. It is focused on interoperability, safety, clarity, and tooling support.
Kotlin is used extensively for Android apps, desktop application, web application and server-side application development. It is designed to interoperate fully with Java, and the JVM version of Kotlin’s standard library depends on the Java Class Library, but type inference allows its syntax to be more concise.
- The Kotlin programming language is not only easy to learn, it is also effective in the way that it codes your application. It is an open-source statically typed programming language.
- One of the major as well as the best features of Android Kotlin is its deep interoperability with Java.
- In Kotlin, you can easily identify the NullPointerException while compiling your project.
- It is relatively safe, and you can use it without any fear.
About 1040 companies reportedly use Kotlin in their tech stacks including Udemy, Slack and Robinhood. Various startups and brands like Twitter, EverNote, American Express, Netflix, Airbnb, Slack, Adobe and many others from different industry verticals opted for Kotlin app development.
3. C and C++
C++Language is a general-purpose programming language created by Bjarne Stroustrup as an extension of the C programming language or “C with Classes”. C++ is an enhanced version of C. As an extension of C, one of the oldest coding languages, C++ provides a foundation for many newer, more popular ones. The language has expanded significantly over time, and modern C++ now has object-oriented, generic, and functional features in addition to facilities for low-level memory manipulation.
- C is used for developing system applications. It is widely used for developing desktop applications.
- Most of the applications by Adobe are developed using ‘C’ programming language.
- It is highly portable and is used for scripting system applications which form a major part of Windows, UNIX and Linux operating system.
- This is a general-purpose programming language and can efficiently work on enterprise applications, games, graphics and applications requiring calculations etc.
- C++ Programming Languae is widely used in Game Development, Advance Computations and Graphics Compilers.
- It can be used to develop operating systems, browsers, applications and so on.
- C++ plays an important part in well-known operating systems, from MacOS and Windows to mobile operating systems like iOS.
- There are many Animated Software such as Maya 3D software, Alias system etc which have been developed with the help of the C++ language. 3D animation, modeling, simulation, rendering software are referred to as the powerful toolset.
About 1128 companies reportedly use C in their tech stacks, including Twitch, GitHub and Telegram Messenger and about 1275 companies reportedly use C++ in their tech stacks, including Google, Twitch and Lyft. Well-known tech companies and organizations using C++ include Microsoft, Evernote, Opera, LinkedIn, NASA and Facebook. Evernote switched from .NET to C++ for more speed and better graphics.
Java is one of the most common, in-demand computer programming languages used today. It is a high-level, class-based and object-oriented programming language that is designed to have as few implementation dependencies as possible. Java is another popular choice in large organizations and it has remained so for decades. It is a general-purpose programming language intended to let application developers Write Once, Run Anywhere (WORA), meaning that compiled Java code can run on all platforms that support Java without the need for recompilation.
Java was created at Sun Microsystems, Inc., where James Gosling led a team of researchers in an effort to create a new language that would allow consumer electronic devices to communicate with each other. It was first released in 1995. Oracle Corporation is the current owner of the official implementation of the Java SE platform, following their acquisition of Sun Microsystems on January 27, 2010.
- Java is mostly used for developing Android apps, web apps, big data technologies, gaming applications, Desktop GUI applications etc.
- It is also used to create the complete applications that can run on a single computer.
- Java is used to build applications and platforms for a number of devices including computers, laptops, gaming consoles, car navigation systems, Blu-ray players, lottery terminals, medical monitoring devices, parking meters and smartphones etc.
- It is free, simple, object-oriented, distributed, supports multithreading and offers multimedia and network support. Java is a mature language, therefore more stable and predictable. The Java Class Library enables cross-platform development.
More than 64,000 companies are using Java in the US. Such well-known companies are Airbnb, Uber, Google, Netflix, Amazon, Spotify, Facebook and so on.
Python is an interpreted high-level general-purpose programming language. It is one of the most commonly used programming languages today and also easy for beginners to learn due to its simple syntax, a large library of standards and toolkits and integration with other popular programming languages such as C and C++. Its design philosophy emphasizes code readability with its use of significant indentation.
It was created by Guido van Rossum and first released on February 20, 1991. It is also one of the most preferred languages in the fields of Data Science, Statistics, Analytics, ML and AI with R as its only real competition.
- It is used to Develop Websites and Software, Data Science, Data Analysis and Data Visualization, Task Automation etc.
- Python is used in a wide variety of applications, including Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and Financial Services etc.
- Python-based web development frameworks like Django, Pyramid, and Turbo Gear are easy to learn, feature-packed and popular.
- It has a wide range of applications like creating famous video games, developing 2D imaging as well as 3D animation packages.
- It includes packages such as NumPy and SciPy, which are commonly used in scientific computing, mathematics and engineering.
- In software development, Python can aid in tasks like build control, bug tracking, and testing. With Python, software developers can automate testing for new products or features.
According to the Stackshare page for Python, there are about 6,200 companies using Python in the real world. Python is used by Intel, Pixar, IBM, NASA, Facebook, Netflix, JP Morgan Chase, Spotify and a number of other massive companies. It’s one of the four main languages at Google, while Google’s YouTube is largely written in Python. It is also used by NASA and Reddit and its web framework, ‘Django’, powers the Instagram and Pinterest web apps etc.
Hope you enjoy this article on ‘Top 5 Computer Programming Languages’. If you have any queries, please comment; I will try my best to solve it. THANK YOU.
1. Computer programming played an important role in ending World War II. Radar technology played a significant part in World War II and was of such importance that some historians have claimed that radar helped the Allies win the war more than any other piece of technology, including the atomic bomb.
2. It took less code to send a man to space than to run a Smartphone….Just incredible!!
Want to learn more?
13 thoughts on “Top 5 Computer Programming Languages”
Pingback: Difference Between RAM And ROM With Full Information - Techworld18
Pingback: How to Become a Software Engineer - Techworld18
Pingback: Top Careers for Computer Science and IT Students - Techworld18
Great work ❤️
Nice one #di
Wow, incredible blog structure! How lengthy have you ever been running a blog for? you make blogging look easy. The total look of your site is great, as neatly as the content material
Your research is just awesome. Big fan sir
Thanks a lot brother 😇✌
Fantastic bro…very helpful…😊😊
Pingback: What Is Computer Programming – Full Information - Techworld18